Saturday 11 February 2012

From the Steering Wheel..:)

In a bid to reach my hostel early I quickly caught a cab outside the Cross Maidan Gardens where i had just attended a   classical Mohiniyattam performance..I entered the cab.I had to complete many projects and since the following day would be  a Sunday I did not complain.
The cabbie turned around to speak to me and said 'Tell me something ,are people mad to commit suicides?" I was taken aback.It seemed like a random question suddenly thrown at me.A startling one.Looking at my suprised face he continued,driving and narrating a problem he probably wanted to discuss.He added, ' Everyday I open the newspapers to find two to three cases of suicides.He felt that buying a newspaper was like buying a death tabloid.Murders and suicides. It is appalling. Adults hanging themselves or jumping into a river.You youngsters too fall in love and when things turn sour take to pills or the most unfortunate-hang yourselves.This world is like an ocean.There are many fish. School students are no less.Was not education supposed to enlighten them?

I pondered.It actually made some sense.When was the last time a cab driver spoke intensely about such an issue ? He continued."Please tell your friends and spread the message.I always wish to speak to youngsters.Those who commit suicide think that they are escaping from troubles, that have made living hell for them but in reality these people are cowards.By running from hell they are actually walking towards the gate's of hell'......I could see the anger and pain in his eyes as he spoke passionately with an open heart..I was still pondering.I could only share a Hindi saying with him which I recently heard for as I reached the gates of my college.Something like this:
'Zindagi humme bahot kuch sikati hai'
Kabhi hasati hai toh kabhi rulati hai
Lekin,,,Zindagi kay mushkil gadi mein jo hasta hai
Zindagi, usi kay samne akar sar jukati hai'
He smiled.Happy to hear that I listened to him and hoping that I would propagate his message.
I just did.

2 comments: